I created these tips more so for beginners who are either self-taught or expanding their home practice and wanted to learn more about proper form.
The first thing I want you to remember for Tripod Headstand or Sirsasana B is that you will be on the crown of your head. Unlike Basket Headstand or Sirsasana A where you are more on the bregma (the spot on your head between your hairline and crown). Also remember, that yes you are on your head, so feeling pressure there is completely normal. Now, let's get started with some essential Dos and Don'ts of this inversion.
1. Start on your bregma, then as you lift your hips up and walk feet in, so hips are high over shoulders you will roll onto being on the crown of your head.
2. Do make sure you can see your entire hands before attempting to lift feet off the ground.
3. Do keep a 90 degree angle in your arms, while isometrically squeezing your elbows in towards your midline (think Chaturanga arms).
4. Do engage those abs before attempting to lift.
5. Do take it slow and rise with your inhales.
6. Do actively press into the ground with hands and always work towards taking weight up, instead of letting it sink down.
7. (If Beginner) Do start with lifting one leg at a time and attempting to connect it to your triceps/elbow (as demonstrated in the picture above)
8. If going to fall backwards, Do tuck chin towards chest and tumble/roll out of it. But try to exit the same way you entered.
1. Dont' place your hands directly by your head. You will fall... or work harder for no reason. If you can't see your entire hand, fingertips to wrists, then you won't have a steady foundation.
2. Don't let your elbows fling out wide.
3. Don't let the weight sink into your shoulders. Keep the weight of shoulders away from ears.
4. Don't rush and Don't panic.
Now that you know some Dos and Don'ts... Go 'head and be Great!
If you have some tips that have worked for you in Tripod Headstand or you have a specific pose you would like for me to provide some alignment tips on please share in the comments below!
Grow With Your Flow,
Channing a.k.a Cookiee.